Makalu Base Camp trekking is a highly adventurous and longest trek in the Himalaya region. Categorized as Moderate to Challenging, trekkers are required to have strong physical fitness and stamina to do Makalu Base Camp trekking. The ultimate objective of the Makalu Base Camp trek is to hike to base camp of Mt. Makalu (the fifth highest mountain in the world) at an altitude of 4870m. The Makalu Base Camp gives you magnificent views of the south face of Makalu, Everest, Lhotse and the Barun Glacier. All along the trail you will enjoy stunning views of Mt Makalu, Mt. Chamlang (7319m), Baruntse (7129m) and Mera peak (6654m). The trail passes through Makalu Barun National Park allowing you to enjoy pristine wilderness and biodiversity. The permanent feature of this trek is the Arun river which during monsoon season is an enthralling sight to watch. So are beautiful waterfalls, deep gorges, valleys, and traditional villages of Rai and Limbu ethnic communities. The distinctive feature of Makalu Base Camp trekking is its pristine wilderness as you pass through dense forests of rhododendron, orchids, maple, magnolia, aromatic herbs and a unparalleled gallery of the most colorful flowers ever seen in the Himalayas. The itinerary of Makalu Base camp trekking has been designed by Global Adventure Trekking to acclimatize you gradually.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Duration: 18 Days
Trip Difficulty: Moderate
Trip Style: Trekking
Transport: By Air
Food: Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
Max Elevation: 4810m
- Visit Makalu Base Camp
- Enjoy stunning views of south face of Makalu, Everest, Lhotse, Chamlang, Baruntse,
- Mera and Barun Glacier
- Appreciate ecologically rich Arun Valley
- Learn about the Kirati culture of ethnic Rai and Limbu communities
- Trek through Makalu Barun National Park
Day 01 Kathmandu-Tumlingtar 45min.510m-Maney Bhanjyang 5hrs.
Day 02 Maney Bhanjyang-Chilchile 1830m.505hrs.
Day 03 Chilchile-Num 4hrs. 1500m.
Day 04 Num-Seduwa 5hrs. 1560m.
Day 05 Seduwa-Tashi Gaun 5hrs.2050m.
Day 06 Tashigaun-Khongma la 6hrs. 3550m.
Day 07 Khangma la- Mumbuk 7hrs. 3490.
Day 08 Mumbuk-Yangla Kharka 7hrs. 3585m.
Day 09 Yangla Kharka-Yak Kharka 6hrs. 4780m.
Day 10 Yak Kharka-Makalu Base Camp 5hrs. 4810m.
Day 11 Makalu Base camp Exploration day.
Day 12 Makalu Base Camp-Yangla Kharka 5hrs. 3600m.
Day 13 Yangla Kharka-Dobato 4.5hrs.
Day 14 Doban-Tashigaun 6.5hrs.
Day 15 Tashigaun-Num 5hrs.
Day 16 Num-Maney Bhanjyang 1160m. 5hrs.
Day 17 Maney Bhanjyang-Tumlingtar 5hrs.
Day 18 Tunlingtar to Kathmandu by flight and transfer to Hotel.
- Makalu National Park Entry permit
- Land transportation to and from airport
- All 2 men tented camp/Toilet tent/Dining Tent
- 17-night tented camp (basic Tea house) accommodation.
- Experienced English Speaking guide with equipment.
- International Airport pick up and drop off
- Safe Drinking Water
- TIMS (Trekker Information Management System)
- All necessary porter.
- Insurance of Nepalese Staff.
- Full board Meals while in the trekking (breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- All cooking utensils / dining tent / Mattress / Toilet tents.
- Kathmandu-Tumlingtar-Kathmandu by air.
- Personal expenses
- Insurance, Tips, food in the city, laundry, Telephone, Personal equipments.
- Emergency evacuation by Helicopter, Airport tax and custom clearance
- Alternative transportation in case of heavy rain, landslide, strike, road blockade etc.