Mardi Himal Base camp is the name of the long rising ridge and its summit (5,588m) that forms the south-west slope of Mount Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), immediately below its sheer south face. Machhapuchhre (6,993m), which towers majestically over the Lake city Pokhara, is best known as Fishtail Mountain because of its twin peaks that mirror the image of a fishtail. It is fabulously beautiful and is considered sacred, permission to climb it has, so far, always been denied. Mardi trek climbs through Rhododendron forests, Orchid and above the tree lines to follow the ridge that takes us up to ‘High camp’, 3,620m where time is spent acclimatizing while being captivated by the views. Annapurna South seems near enough "eyes to eyes” at and Machhapuchhre close enough to touch. Finally, we enter the wilderness territory as we go beyond 4,500 meters where the great ice fields and blue glaciers of Annapurna Base Camp lie below. Around us, in an arc from east to west, are a dozen or more glossy snowcapped giants, with Annapurna I being the highest of them all – the views are almost impossible to equal. Conquering this wilderness region and the incredible proximity of 5 of the highest mountains in the world leaves one feeling they have explored ever.
Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek
Trip Difficulty: Moderate
Trip Style: Trekking
Transport: Tourist Bus
Food: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Accommodation: Hotel + Tea House
Group Size: 1-16
Max Elevation: 4,500 m
- Beautiful newly promoted wilderness trekking in Annapurna region.
- Best alternative trek to Ghorepani Poon Hill trek and ABC.
- Traditional villages and sophisticated hospitality of Local people.
- The closest view of exquisite Annapurna Himalayas from Base Camp
Day 01: Kathmandu to Pokhara by tourist bus and transfer to hotel.
Morning at 6:30 am pick up and go to the Tourist bus station. It is 7 hours drive through Prithvi high way. Arrival in Pokhara and transfer to Hotel. Rest of the time is free.
Day 02: Drive to Dhampus phedi and trek to Pothana (2,232 m)-4hrs.
Mardi Himal trekking begins after a short drive to Phedi. The first part of the trek until Dhampus is uphill through the forest but you can experience the beautiful landscape including Pokhara valley and local settlement. In Dhampus we stop for the conservation check-in and continue to Pothana through the Rhododendron forest.
Day 03: TREK TO FOREST CAMP (2,600 m / 5 hrs)
After spending beautiful morning in the ridge top village of Pothana, we head off the main Annapurna trekking trail and follow the forested ridge to Forest camp. Since this is new trekking destination, there are small tea houses along the way but we need to carry sufficient water. The day’s walk in the rhododendron forest is beautiful with gradual uphill.
Day 04: TREK TO BADAL DANDA (4 Hrs / 2,950 m)
The trail gradually climbs through the rhododendron forest following the ridge. Low camp has got couple of tea houses in the clearing of the forest. The view of Mt Fishtail and Mardi Himal appears much closer. You find yourself closer to clear blue sky with view of layers of Himalayan foothills and sweeping valley towards south. Note: You can trek 1 more hr to Badal Danda (Cloud Hill) above the tree line in consent of guide for better view. There is only one lodge in Badal Danda.
Day 05: SHORT WALK TO HIGH CAMP (3 HRS / 3,550 m)
The trail further climbs along the ridge towards Mardi Himal and Mt Fishtail. From Badal Danda, we leave the tree line and arrive in shrubby alpine zone. Snowcapped peaks of Annapurna South, Huinchuli and Fishtail looms in a distance above deep valley on the either side. High camp is a small pasture after the climb with 3 lodges. Here you find yourself above the clouds and closer to snowcapped peaks.
Day 06: Explore Mardi View point and trek back to Low Camp (7 Hrs / 4,500 m)
The day trip is more difficult than other days with steep climb and longer walk. Trail becomes more vertiginous at some points with uneven and steep rocky steps. The first steep climb will take about 2 hrs to the ridge top which is marked as MBC (Mardi Himal Base Camp). However the real base camp will take about another 2 hrs along the ridge. The view is amazing all along the ridge. While Mardi Himal and Mt Fishtail appear right above us, view of Annapurna I, Gangapurna and Annapurna III also appears at a distance.
Day 07: Trek to Lumbre (4hrs) and drive back to Pokhara Alt. 810m. Trek 2 hours
There is an optional excursion to a tea planation to see how tea is produced; it takes around 45 minutes uphill to reach. The trail to the end of our trek takes us to pass the village tea factory, which we can visit and purchase the freshly grown tea we have enjoyed since arriving in the village. We exit the village down the stone staircase that leads on to established paths that take us to Anante Thati. From here we drive back to Pokhara.
Day 08: Pokhara to Kathmandu by Tourist bus.
A bus drive to Kathmandu is a scenic drive through the Prithivi high way. You will pass the small village and town towards Kathmandu. Arrivals Kathmandu and transfer to hotel. Evening farewell dinner will be served at a typical Nepali restaurant. Optional you may stay in Pokhara on your own.
- All meals while on the Trekking (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner)
- 2-night hotel in Pokhara including breakfast
- 5-night twin share Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private and public vehicle as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek leader.
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, food, and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (ACAP, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Travel insurance which covers emergency high-altitude rescue and evacuation
- International airfare and airport departure tax
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain the visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 15 days can be obtained by paying USD 25 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days and 90 days can be obtained by paying USD 40 and 100 respectively. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos. You can apply for Nepal entry visa online as well. https://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa
- Porter can be arranged if required with additional cost
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks, Internet, Laundry, and Telephone call.
- Personal trekking equipment (it can be rent in Kathmandu/Pokhara)
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is expected.)
- Any other expenses that are not mentioned in the Price Include section
Price & Dates
|25 Oct, 2020 - 01 Nov, 2020||Guaranteed||455 USD|
You are kindly requested to let us know if the itinerary and schedule departure does not suit your requirement. We are happy to customize the plan and reschedule the new departure date as per your requirement.
Group discount is available so be first to grab it!