Dominated by Langtang Lirung, bordering Tibet, the nearest national park from Kathmandu is called Langtang National Park which is a superb introduction to trekking in Nepal. Langtang Valley Trekking is famous for its glacial moraine and rivers with lovely valleys. Langtang Valley trekking starts after 6 hour's jeep drive to Syabru Bensi.
7 days Langtang Valley Trek Highlight
- Visit naturally blessed Langtang Valley and Langshisha Valley
- Trek through the wilderness and encounter rare animals such as Red Panda Himalayan black bear, Ghoral, grey langur monkey, Himalayan Thar, musk deer, and snow leopard
- Spectacular close-up view of Langtang range and Ganesh Himal Tibetan, Tamang, and Sherpa people who are different than other Sherpa.
- Learn about Tamang and Tibetan culture
- Visit Kyangjin Gomba and Cheese factor
Surrounded by snow-capped mountains on all sides, the Langtang valley was a pastureland and trekker’s paradise offering the most beautiful views of valleys and Himalayan peaks. The trail passes through dense forests of oak and pine offering you the chance to see wildlife up close. The stretch of forest around Ghoda Tabhela in the lower Langtang Valley and below Gosain Kunda is famous for the Red panda. Other animals that you may encounter on the way include Himalayan black bear, Ghoral, grey langur monkey, Himalayan Thar, musk deer, and snow leopard.
You will see Langtang village which was recently destroyed by the earthquake in 2015 AD. The tea houses are built 150m above the initial Langtang village. The new settlement village is called Mundu. After spending a night at Mundu walk to Kyanjin Gumpa which will take about 3 hours. The next day you will explore the high valley of Lang Shisha, Yala Peak, and Tsero Ri. All along the trail, you will enjoy breathtaking majestic views of Langtang and Ganesh Himalayan ranges such as Langtang Lirung, Dorje Lakpa, Yala, Cheko Ri, Ganesh Himal, etc. You will also visit Kyanjin Gompa, a yak cheese factory, and Langtang Glacier.
How to start the Langtang Valley Trek?
Langtang Valley trek starts after a 6-7 hour bus ride or by Jeep (116km). The bus leaves from Machhapokhari and goes 50km through the Prithivi highway to Galchi. After having a tea break keep driving the Trisuli Bazaar-Kalikastan and Dhunche (the district headquarters of Rasuwa)-Syabru Bensi. The cost of the bus is about 11 USD but a sharing jeep is available to shorten the travel time.
The signs and symptoms of altitude sickness
Altitude sickness is a fetal disease. There is no guarantee, that anyone can get it but it is easy to avoid altitude sickness if you “leave the things behind what you want to leave” Being Stress-free, being comfortable, and gaining altitude gradually are the most important. Here, we have categorized the altitude into three sections.
What are the signs of (AMS) Acute Mountain Sickness?
- Tired, Block nose and ears, Fatigue, Discomfort, Mild headache, Nausea, and Vomiting
- What is the sign of (HAPE) High Altitude Pulmonary Edema
- Dry cough, Nose bleeding, shortness of Breath, High Heart rates, Swelling, Fainting
- What is (HACE) High Altitude Cerebral Edema?
- Shortness of Breath, Loss of Consciousness, fever, fatigue, Hypertension, Confusion, Coma, Unable to Walk
- Altitude Sickness Solution: Regular Exercise, Stay hydrated, regular check-ups, carry Diamox, eat carbohydrates, eat chocolates and nuts, Acclimatize and rest, no smoking or alcoholic drinks.
What is the maximum height and duration of the trek?
Langtang Valley trek is an easy and short trek from Kathmandu compared to another famous trek. This trek involves around 5 hours of walking a day in the slow steady. The maximum height of the trek is Kyanjin Gumpa 3,800m where you will spend a night. Of course, you will make the detour up to Kyanjin Ri (4700m) Or Tserkuri Ri 4900m. The choice is yours! Both places offer the best Mountain views and amazing landscapes. As for the trek duration, Cost, day-to-day itinerary, and altitude please see below included and excluded sections.
Best time for Langtang Valley Trek
As you know Nepal is for all seasons but Nepal experiences four seasons autumn, winter, spring, and summer. Among these four different seasons, only two seasons are highly recommended for trekking in Nepal.
The Langtang Valley trek in autumn (September-November) is the best time. This is right after the monsoon, all the haze goes down and makes the visibility crystal clear. The temperature is favorable and you may feel 15-20 degrees centigrade.
Langtang trekking in spring (March-May) is another great opportunity for flora and fauna lovers. The weather is clear and you can experience some light rain and snow, which is just perfect! All the blossoming flowers make the environment colorful and several chirping birds are dancing around. Blue sky, chirping birds, blossoming flowers, rare Red Panda, Himalayan goat, and hanging Bee hive are other attractions of the trek.
Does Langtang Valley Trek suit you?
- This trek involves 5-6 hours of walking a day through the green bamboo forest, crossing a suspension bridge.
- The trek starts after the 7 hours of adventure bus ride
- The guest houses are simple and clean but without luxury facilities.
- This trek goes up to 3,800m-4,900m altitude for the best view of the Himalayas and the frozen river.
What do you need to pack?
If you are planning a trek in the autumn or spring seasons then, here is some recommended packing list. If you have more items that you may not need for your trek, you can leave unnecessary items at the office or at your hotel. Trek as a model trekker and save the environment. For the list of necessary trek gears visit here.
Langtang Valley trek is an easy and short trek in Nepal. Langtang trek can be combined with Gosain Kunda lake trek and Helambu trek. We are happy to customize the itinerary as per your requirements. We are here to serve you and make your Langtang Valley the most memorable one.